Monday, February 25, 2008

Tonight I went by myself (I am very proud of that) to the Museo del Patrimonio Municipal for a poetry reading by Clara Janès.
You can read about her here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clara_Jan%C3%A9s
I know wiki is a bad source at times but its a pretty good summary and one of the better ones I could find in English.



Up behind this museum is the fortress alcazaba and right before you arrive at the museum there is a really cool tunnel that goes straight under the fortress. On a nice day I will get a good picture of the tunnel with the fortress on top.
The reading was wonderful-- one of the best things I`ve gotten to do here in Spain and I will definitely go back for other readings.
Tonight I am going to organize my notes some more and first thing tomorrow I need to buy some folders. It is hard to keep track of the amount of handouts we get in class. In my literature class we are reading an epic poem called Mio CID. It is sort of a much more readable version, like the children`s version of Beowulf or something. I don`t really like it but I also didn`t ever really like Beowulf. In my art class we are learning a lot of Spanish history, right now focusing on the time that Spain was inhabited by the Visigoths and we are discussing the structures of the early Visigoth churches. In my Latin America class we are discussing things like the uses of corn, or Maize, rather, and the ancient <> which is a game that was spiritual, calling upon the gods to determine the winner by making the ball touch the ground or making a player miss the ball (that is how they understood it). It is a lot like volleyball but without the net in the middle. The losers of the game were often sent off to be human sacrifices. I see this mentality in American football culture today. Maybe this is where its roots come from.

No comments: